Archaeological Training Committee
David C. Thompson, Chair; Jim Tuite; Levi Holton
UPCOMING TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
NAS TUTOR COURSE
The NAS Tutor Course: consists of 2 1/2 hour classroom session that provides an overview of the current NAS educational program and the new educational system that will come into effect in 2020. Participants are then required to complete practical tutoring sessions prior to being designated as NAS tutors.
The classroom session is:
- Required of all NAS members wishing to become tutors for the NAS current “Introduction to Foreshore and Underwater Archaeology” class and the new “Introduction to Maritime Archaeology” class that will replace it in 2020. Costs for course is $10. No cost for current tutors.
- Required of all current and past NAS tutors who wish to continue as tutors when the new educational system takes effect next year. (Practical work is not required)
The following are the training seminars that will be presented at the upcoming chapter meetings. Unless noted all courses are free to MHC members. All seminars are eligible for NAS credit. If required, registration packets will be available on-line when chapter meeting dates are finalized.
- NAS Tutor ($10 for materials)
- Photomosaicing using Photoshop- 1/2 day
- Artifact Illustration – 1 full day – preregistration required. Fee: $50 per participant for materials.
- PADI Intro to Underwater Archaeology (classroom and diving components). Must be at least 16 years of age. PADI Advanced Open Water Certification (or equivalent from other certification agency) required.
- Anchor Recording — 1/2 day
- Nautical Charts – their history and how to read them – 1/2 day
- Intro to Photogrammetry – 1 full day – pre-registration required.
- Intro to Surveying: plane table and handheld GPS – 1 full day – pre-registration required.
CHECK BACK FOR MORE INFORMATION.